Former Orlando Pirates Youth Development Technical Director, Augusto Palacios: "We need to change our mentality"


“For Lyle to go overseas at a young age is a good achievement for him. I’m proud because I’m very close to his family and I am happy that he came from my academy (Augusto Palacios Apprentice Academy).

When he goes back to Monaco, he will have more experience. If Monaco keep him out on loan, it’s also good for him, until he can go back to Monaco and play (regularly). He has been playing regularly this season. He has gained some experience. The thing is any young player who does not get the opportunity to play regularly and improve his game will lose. If we are not going to give opportunities to these young boys, then we lose.

Lyle played a few games when Micho (Milutin Sredojevic) was there (at Orlando Pirates), but he was not consistently playing, to maybe play him 20 minutes one game, then 30 minutes the next game and 45 minutes after that, until he can play 90 minutes. We need to change our mentality in South Africa. (Zakhele) Lepasa scored in the Nedbank Cup last season (for TS Galaxy), but he is not playing (regularly) now. You get what I mean?

For me, a young player is 17, 18, 19 and then it’s time for them to shine when they are 20 or 21. If we don’t believe in young players, then we have serious problems. I’m happy that Lyle is playing regularly in Belgium because he’s been working hard and I hope he will continue with his career in Europe. There’s two things that he likes – scoring goals and remaining after training to do extra work. I’m happy for him.”

Comments

Post a Comment